Introduction to Birth Work
Do you feel drawn to working with Birth? To make a difference?
“Introduction to birth work” is a one day workshop for women who want to explore the calling to support and educate women or couples during the pregnancy, birth and/or postnatal period.
Sunday 4th of February 2018, 10-5pm, in Liverpool or
Sunday 25th of March 2018, 10-5pm, near Totnes Devon
Many women feel called to work as birth companions/doulas or childbirth educators, offering physical, emotional and practical support to women or couples during their Pregnancy, Birth and/or postnatal period. They want to work alongside the midwives at home or in hospital knowing that they can make a real difference.
Research has shown that Doulas can have considerable impact on the quality and the outcome of the birth and postnatal experience for the mother, baby and partner. Preparation classes and pregnancy/postnatal circles give women and couples not only essential skills to prepare for Birth but also opportunities to become part of a community of mothers/fathers, such an important resource in early parenthood.
But often doubts and unanswered questions prevent women from answering the call.
Questions such as:
- What is really involved in being a birth companion/doula?
- Do I have what it takes?
- What do I already know and what do I need to learn?
- What about my family life? – Is my lifestyle flexible enough?
- Do I have enough support?
- If I have had a difficult previous birth myself, can I still really be there for another woman?
- Could I make a living being a doula? How do I find clients?
- Do I want to be a birth doula, postnatal doula?
- Do I want to run classes, or just do one-to-one preparation?
- Could I combine running groups, classes and doula work?
- What is calling me to do this work?
Many questions, many unique individual answers to be found.
Some women start training to support others only to find out that what they were really looking for was to be surrounded by a community of women, to be heard and heal the wounds of their own births. This can be done partly within the holding of a Birth training but an awareness of this need may be helpful before deciding whether the training in question is the most appropriate place to go on this healing journey.
This workshop is a prerequisite for the Birthing Wisdom Doula Fundamentals 2018 training.
Places are limited to 8 so book early to avoid disappointment.
To book a place on the Introduction to Birth workshop, send or email a letter outlining:
- your contact details inc. email address
- your family situation
- your experience of Birth (if any)
- what is attracting you to this training
- what are your hopes and expectations
- what do you feel you bring with you
- what are your doubts and reservations about becoming a doula
- Enclose a non refundable 50% deposit of £25 (cheque payable to Olivia Seck) and send it to Birthing Wisdom, 4 Hood Cottages, Dartington Totnes TQ9 6AB . You may pay your deposit by bank transfer if that is more convenient for you. Please contact me for bank details.
There will be a small preparation module to complete before the intro day.
Any queries please email us or call Kate for Liverpool on 07866982093 or Olivia for Totnes on 01803 226127